Next you will find out:
- What are some ways to get rid of bedbugs in an apartment today, and which of them are really effective, and which of them are not very good;
- How it is necessary to start fighting with bed bugs, and why the success of this “operation” can sometimes depend on the neighbors;
- What is important to know in advance about the work of disinsection services, so as not to run into scams;
- What insecticidal preparations will allow to get rid of bedbugs in the apartment on their own, and very reliably and without a persistent unpleasant smell in the rooms;
- In which cases it makes sense to resort to temperature methods of getting rid of bedbugs and what is useful to know about using popular folk remedies ...
Bed bugs are extremely unpleasant "neighbors" in the apartment, capable of poisoning normal life, not only to residents of the countryside, but also quite respectable citizens.Unlike cockroaches, these blood-sucking parasites are practically indifferent to the sanitary conditions of the room, equally willing to settle in the barracks and luxury apartments. Therefore, generally speaking, not a single resident of a city apartment is immune from meeting with bed bugs.
At the same time, the appearance of bedbugs in the room is not a reason to panic or, moreover, change an apartment. If you act correctly, then you can get rid of parasites quickly enough, and not always it will be associated with significant financial costs.
So, if in the mornings your body becomes covered with itchy bites, there are traces of blood on the sheet, and when cleaning from under the bed you regularly sweep insect pelts and traces of their vital activity (for example, fine black excrement, egg shells), then the situation is most likely is already running. In this case, it would be naive to believe that it is enough to sprinkle the bed with Dichlorvos, and the problem will be solved by itself - no, this will require a more solid approach.
About how you can permanently get rid of bedbugs in the apartment, even in neglected cases, we will continue to talk in more detail. But first things first…
All ways to get rid of bedbugs
Before you get rid of bed bugs once and for all, first you need to choose the right method of struggle. This is one of the key stages in getting rid of parasites: the wrong method will take a lot of effort, time and money, but effectively getting rid of bedbugs will not help.
Note the most popular today and effective (if properly performed) ways to get rid of bedbugs:
- Calling a pest control service is perhaps the most effective, quick, but at the same time, quite an expensive way to combat parasites. Available to residents of large cities and suburbs, it allows not only the fight against bed bugs, but also a comprehensive disposal of large areas from a variety of insects.
- Independent use of insecticidal drugs. This method is much more accessible than the services of professional services, but requires a certain amount of time and effort. With the right approach gives excellent results and allows you to get rid of bed bugs in a fairly short time;
- Temperature treatment of a room or furniture is considered the safest way for humans and pets to get rid of bedbugs.At the same time, this technique is very effective: bugs are sometimes resistant to chemical poisons, but they are always very sensitive to low and high temperatures. However, technically, thermal processing of the room is sometimes difficult to organize (we'll talk about this later);
- Mechanical destruction - in simple terms, is the fight against bedbugs with a vacuum cleaner or sneaker. It is very inefficient and not fast way, which is suitable only if there are single individuals of parasites in the apartment;
- The use of folk remedies for getting rid of bed bugs. This method is cheaper than the use of modern synthetic insecticides, but its effectiveness, depending on the set of tools used, is very different from case to case and in general is quite small. Practice shows that the majority of folk remedies are significantly inferior in efficiency to modern insect drugs.
To decide for yourself how it is better to get rid of bedbugs, you must first assess the current situation. For example, it is useful to adhere to the following plan:
- First of all, you need to talk with the neighbors from the surrounding apartments (both on the side and on the floor above and below) and check thatDo not live and have bugs. In most cases, the bugs fall into the new apartment, settling it from the neighboring rooms. If bugs live in at least one such adjacent apartment, then it is necessary to coordinate efforts with neighbors and get rid of parasites in all contaminated areas at once. Otherwise, even if they succeed in completely destroying the bugs in a single apartment, they may again run across from their neighbors;
- If there are a lot of contaminated apartments, it is better to call the disinsection service - so you can be sure that all the rooms will be processed carefully (otherwise there are cases when not very conscientious neighbors save on buying insecticidal preparations, choosing cheaper, or even lazy to do the processing. And this is not to mention the cases when, in principle, it is not possible to agree with the neighbors for various reasons);
- If bugs are only in your apartment, or the number of infected apartments is small, then it makes sense to use special insecticidal preparations. You should not expect to get rid of "little blood": perhaps bed bugs in the apartment much more than initially thought.Therefore, processing should always be carried out carefully and as fully as possible. The choice of the drug should also be approached carefully - it should be highly effective against bed bugs, should be relatively safe for humans and animals and, if possible, do not have a strong smell bedbugs). We will talk more about the choice of the drug in more detail below;
- In rare cases, when the bugs in an apartment settle in only one sofa or in bed, you can quickly and efficiently destroy them with temperature methods - hot steam, or, conversely, putting them in the cold. But the complete low-temperature treatment of the apartment (freezing) is available only in winter and only in those regions in which the temperature drops below minus 22 ° C (at higher temperatures, the bugs and their eggs survive). At the same time, it is necessary to take measures so that getting rid of bugs in this way does not lead to damage to the engineering systems of water supply;
- Various folk remedies for getting rid of house bugs it makes sense to use only in the processing of non-residential premises and with the possibility of disinsection in several stages. As a rule, "folk preparations" have a strong and unpleasant smell, and those that smell tolerant, usually do not give results when used.
A review showing the importance of coordinated disposal of bedbugs at once in all infected apartments:
"Tired of poison bugsconstantly creeping from neighbors. In one apartment, in general, a deranged uncle lives, figs make him process something, we even gave him the tool for free, we bought it ourselves. Six months later, we were tired, called a normal company, in which the guys processed not only three apartments on the site, but also ventilation and the staircase ... "
Now let's see what important nuances it is useful to take into account when choosing one or another method of getting rid of bedbugs - both in the case of calling the disinsection service and when getting rid of parasites on their own there are many “pitfalls” that you should have an idea in advance ...
The call of sanitary services: nuances and features
As already noted above, the call of specialists in disinsection is one of the most effective and quickest ways to get rid of bed bugs in an apartment.At the same time, the service workers will decide for themselves which particular drug and equipment will be better used in this particular case.
The photo below shows an example of processing an apartment for bedbugs by a disinsection worker:
If the absence of an unpleasant odor in the room is critical for you, then this point is useful to pre-state, since the highly effective insecticidal preparations used by the sanitary services usually have a rather pronounced unpleasant smell (Tetrix, Sinuzan, Xsulat C25, etc.). Sometimes this smell remains in the room for several weeks (although you may well be told that, after 3 hours of ventilation, there will be almost no smell). In some cases, you can agree on the use of insecticides, almost odorless.
The processing methods, and in general, the approach to business, can vary significantly between services: for example, in one case a student with a conventional garden spray can be sent to you, and there are companies that send specially trained disinsectors with overalls, protective equipment and appropriate equipment ( for example, the so-called cold or hot mist generator).
On a note
The generator of cold (and hot) fog allows you to transfer the insecticide solution into the finest aerosol, the smallest particles of which are evenly distributed throughout the entire volume of the apartment, penetrating into hard-to-reach places and cracks where bugs can hide. A conventional nebulizer allows you to process only the place where the “torch” of the sprayed agent is directed - the particles are too large to hold in the air and quickly settle.
The photos below show the cold and hot fog generators:
Also, large disinfestation services sometimes (rarely) use equipment for treating a room with heat: industrial hair dryers and special air heaters. It is not always possible to get rid of bed bugs in an ordinary apartment in this way, since the temperature must be raised above 50 ° C, and this can be harmful for certain interior items.
It is interesting
Bed bugs do not tolerate temperatures below minus 18 ° C and above + 48 ° C. Their eggs are a little more resistant, but with a long treatment they also die.
Terms of disinsection of the premises by the special services are usually small: getting rid of bed bugs takes several hours, and it is advisable not to go into it for some time after the treatment of the apartment.However, there are exceptions, depending on the area and the specifics of each object.
In general, choosing a company to get rid of bed bugs should be approached fairly carefully, especially considering that there are a large number of small firms offering services of questionable quality in this market.
“I turned here to one okhlamonam. By phone they said one price, and the master arrived, requested twice as much. Still for some kind of barrier separately took. As a result, the processing of two-room cost me 5,000 rubles. And he worked for only 20 minutes. Well, if all the bugs died, but then no, after three days the same darkness creeps them. And perky such as if the apartment was not processed. In my indignant call about the guarantee they said that yes, there is a guarantee, but I will have to pay extra for repeated processing. What kind of guarantee is this, for which you need to pay? Scammers I wrote a review to them in contact, deleted it and blocked the entrance to the group. ”
Zhana, St. Petersburg
What you should pay attention to:
- in reliable companies, the manager will agree in advance on the timing of disinsection, learn about the residence of children, pets, the elderly, residents who are prone to allergies, pregnant and lactating women;
- the procedure for getting rid of bedbugs will not be constantly delayed and carried over time (a characteristic feature of small offices);
- apartment owners will be instructed in detail on preparing it for processing;
- the provision of services will be made only after the signing of the relevant contract, which should be a guarantee on the quality of the services provided. That is, if, after the treatment of the apartment, it is not possible to get rid of bedbugs, then repeated processing should be carried out free of charge;
- It is also useful to pre-read reviews about the company on the Internet - if the disinfestation service has been working for a long time, then hundreds and thousands of grateful clients have probably already managed to mention it on various blogs and forums. At the same time, for obvious reasons, it is important not to limit ourselves to studying reviews only on the website of the company itself.
“... I liked how they work. The manager asked in detail how many tenants, if anyone has asthma, whether there is an aquarium in the apartment, specified the number of old sofas. The guys worked for three hours with special cylinders and sprayers. The next day, we swept up the bugs in kilograms! .. ”
The amount of work on preparing an apartment for the procedure for getting rid of bedbugs depends largely on the treatment method chosen by the service, the composition of the tenants and the size of the room. In any case, it is necessary to free an apartment for a few hours, after having removed all domestic animals and plants from it.
Aquariums should be covered with cover glasses, the compressor will need to be turned off.
The price of getting rid of bedbugs by specialists starts from about 2,000 rubles for a one-room apartment and can increase, depending on the size of the premises, processing methods and the city in which the disinsection is carried out. Usually, companies provide a guarantee that during a certain period - usually up to a year - the bugs will not appear in the apartment.
Here are examples of average prices in Moscow for the treatment of apartments from bugs with cold mist (the so-called ULV irrigation):
- studio apartment - 2500 rub .;
- one-bedroom apartment - 3000 rub .;
- two bedroom apartment - 3300 rub .;
- four-room apartment - 3600 rubles.
Independent use of chemical insecticides against bedbugs
If you decide to get rid of bed bugs yourself,then instead of obsolete insecticidal agents with an unpleasant odor (Karbofos, Chlorofos, etc.), it makes sense to give preference to modern microencapsulated preparations adapted for domestic use. Some of these drugs in addition to very high efficacy have a minimal level of odor - for example, Xsulat Micro, Get, Delta Zone, Lambda Zone, and some others.
On a note
Even with the use of the most effective means of bedbugs apartment usually can not get rid of parasites instantly. Adults and larvae may die rather quickly, however, new larvae will constantly hatch from surviving eggs, since most insecticides have little effect on bedbug eggs.
Accordingly, within 3-4 days after the first treatment, you can feel the bites of parasites again. And here it is important not to fall into despair, as is often the case - people begin to think that the tool does not work, that their bugs are simply unkillable and it is not clear what to do next. In fact, everything is simple: after the first treatment, the larvae will periodically hatch from the eggs remaining to the hiding places of the apartment for two or three weeks, and here it is important not to let the larvae grow to the state of an adult that can lay new eggs.
Therefore, at intervals of 1-2 weeks it may be necessary to re-process the apartment. The only way to get rid of bedbugs once and for all in neglected cases. By the way, pest control services understand this very well, therefore, they provide a guarantee, and sometimes even give the facility to the residents themselves for re-treatment.
Generally speaking, insecticidal preparations, suitable for getting rid of bedbugs, come in different forms - it can be a concentrated liquid suspension for breeding, powder, aerosol, or even small - and they all require different approaches to use. Perhaps the least well-known remedy for bedbugs are insecticidal smoke bombs, which allow a relatively inexpensive and quick complete treatment of the apartment from parasites. For example, one perimetric smoke bollard Silent Evening or City, the price of which is in the range of 500-600 rubles, is enough to handle even the largest apartment, and the efficiency of such processing will be quite comparable to the processing of a room with cold mist.
An important point: in self-control of bedbugs, it is necessary to take into account the specific toxicity of most chemicals. Yes, many of them are positioned as quite safe for humans and domestic animals, but believe that even the means for odorless bugs, if they are inhaled for a long time in the form of an aerosol, will not add health exactly. And if to speak at all, there are many known cases of poisoning when mistreated with insecticidal preparations in everyday life.
Therefore, before treating the apartment, it is imperative to remove all tenants and pets from it, clothes should be packed in hermetic bags for further washing (bugs and eggs can also be in it), and the work itself should be done with rubber gloves and a respirator.
It is very important to carry out the procedure of disposing of the dwelling from bedbugs in one step, processing all the rooms, kitchen, corridor, etc. at once. Incomplete treatment of the apartment can lead to the fact that part of the parasites will survive, and within a few months their number will again be restored.
How to destroy bedbugs by heat treatment?
How to get rid of room bugs by freezing the room is well known in almost every rural Siberian house. However, for citizens this procedure may be something new.
In the simplest case, in the winter, home owners leave with their pets and plants for several days, leaving the windows wide open. Bedbugs die at temperatures below minus 22 ° C, so this approach is especially effective in northern latitudes. With less severe frost, bugs and their eggs will have a high chance of survival.
With such freezing, it is important to secure the water supply in the house (and the water heating system, if any). Freezing of pipes can lead to their ruptures and further flooding of the room.
Also, a very good effect gives freezing on the street furniture. For example, if, after checking an apartment, it turned out that the bugs settled only in a sofa, armchairs, or a bed with mattresses, then it is this furniture that can be carried out for a few hours (or better days) in frost.
“They poisoned bedbugs Kombat. Very good remedy, but the larvae and eggs remained in the mattress, then after a while they began to pester. We thought to throw it away, but it was just winter and we carried it to the roof. For four days he froze (it was -30), we brought him into the house, and for a year now we have no bugs ... ”
However, you can get rid of room bugs in furniture not only with the help of frost, but also with the help of hot steam, and some use just boiling water for these purposes.
- if you walk on the furniture upholstery steamer, having processed all its folds, then it will allow to destroy not only adult bugs and larvae, but also parasite eggs. It is important to make sure that the steam does not damage the furniture itself;
- There are known cases when people used boiled water to find nests of bedbugs (including along baseboards) and thereby get rid of parasites. However, in general, the method is ineffective, since in most cases not all nests of bloodsucker can be found;
- If eggs and larvae of bedbugs are found in clothes or bedding, then you can quickly get rid of them by simply washing all this at a temperature of 60 ° C in a washing machine.
There is another good way to dry clothes from bugs: it folds up in a closed car and is left for the whole summer day in the sun. Bedbugs in such conditions die within a few hours.
A few words about folk remedies for bedbugs
Of the folk remedies for getting rid of bed bugs, kerosene, turpentine, denatured alcohol, acetic essence, dust, camphor, and wormwood, as well as their mixtures, are considered the most effective.Moreover, there are a lot of different recipes based on these ingredients, but their efficiency is about the same (low).
In most cases, these tools are recommended to handle the places of accumulation of bedbugs, as well as all approaches to the bed, baseboards, cracks in the walls and furniture, and in general places of possible insect shelter.
The main drawbacks of the listed substances are a strong odor that does not disappear from the room for a long time. However, it is this smell and repels bedbugs. In addition, by direct contact with the chitinous integument of the insect, kerosene blocks the bug's ability to breathe (spreads over the external covers and flows into the spiracles), and concentrated acetic acid and denatured alcohol, simply put, “burn” the parasites.
On a note
The use of kerosene, gasoline, turpentine or alcohol is a very outdated method of dealing with bedbugs, especially today, when you can buy much more effective and safe insect repellents. And in general, watering furniture with kerosene, processing baseboards and walls with them is not only ineffective, but also very unwise and dangerous from the point of view of the possibility of fire or explosion of vapors accumulated in a closed room.
It is also believed that bed bugs do not like the aroma of fresh-cut wormwood and tansy. Typically, these herbal remedies are used in villages, folding bunches of herbs under the bed or greasing the legs of the beds and floors with broths. Such measures provide temporary, short-term results.
In general, folk remedies for bedbugs in most cases will not help get rid of the parasites, especially with a serious infection of the apartment. Even as a means of prevention, kerosene, wormwood, turpentine or tansy are significantly inferior to the same, for example, insecticidal crayons (an example is the well-known crayon Mashenka, which is quite effective not only from cockroaches, but also from bedbugs, but only as a means of prevention, when there is a risk of infiltration of single individuals of parasites from neighbors; in more severe cases, insecticidal small ones have little effect).
In conclusion, we note that in the case of self-control of bed bugs in an apartment, it is better to give preference to modern, highly effective drugs. When choosing a product, one should pay attention not only to its effectiveness, but also to safety for human health and to the absence of an unpleasant odor (an example of such a combination is quite a powerful preparation for the bed bugs Get, practically odorless).
There are many cases when furniture treated with an odorous agent simply had to be thrown away, so consider this point in advance.
Successes you in the fight with parasites!
How to choose the service for the destruction of bedbugs
Interesting video: 5 effective ways to destroy bed bugs in the apartment