Bites of bed bugs in children rarely cause a serious and heightened reaction, limited, as a rule, to typical redness and small seals at the puncture site of the skin. As a rule, children rather easily tolerate the attacks of these insects, experiencing only an itch similar to a mosquito. The photo shows what the fresh bites of bedbugs look like in a baby with a slight defeat:
However, in those few cases where the child’s body reacts to bedbug bites badly, the reaction can be extremely strong. That is why parents need to know what to do if they have bitten bugs and what the child’s bite looks like in general.
What are the dangerous bites of bedbugs for children?
the main danger from bedbug bites for children is the occurrence of an allergic reaction to skin damage.If the child is not sprinkled with mosquito bites, then after the bites of bedbugs, he will most likely not be surrounded by a rash. Although there is no clear dependence here: the salivary secretion of these insects is different and the child’s immune system will react to these substances in different ways.
Specifics bed bugs bites lies in the fact that the insect bites several times at one meal, leaving a well-distinguishable path from the bites. Usually, looking at the nature of the skin lesions, it is well understood when it was bugs that bit. The photo below demonstrates well the characteristic appearance of bedbug bites as a walkway:
Of course, with multiple bites, they cause more severe itching in a child. This is especially true for babies and children of the first years of life: the bugs in the crib even in small quantities do not allow the baby to sleep, he constantly screams and tosses and turns.
The very allergic reaction to bedbugs bites is manifested in an increase in the area of redness, external rashes and itching even on intact skin areas. In this case, the bites themselves are compacted, become hard with a clearly visible blood plug in the center:
Much less often - in isolated cases - a generalized allergic reaction can occur. It can cause inflammation and swollen lymph nodes, fever, headaches and digestive disorders. Such symptoms manifest in children, especially those susceptible to insect bites.
In some cases, bugs bites in children cause:
- iron deficiency anemia - only a few cases of such a reaction were recorded reliably. In all these cases, the child was bitten by bugs in a very large number, and the volume of blood lost and the effect of enzymes from insect saliva caused a change in the overall blood composition.
- Anaphylactic shock - an extreme degree of development of an allergic reaction, associated with loss of consciousness, severe edema, impaired functioning of internal organs.
- Infection of bite sites. It should be remembered that the bugs themselves, although they are carriers of pathogens of many diseases, never transmit them to the person they bite. At least, in the entire history of medicine, no such cases have been recorded. Infection occurs due to the fact that itchy bites are scratched with nails during scratching,and bacteria get into the wounds from dirty fingers.
Bedbugs bites almost always prevent children from sleeping and resting normally. In impressionable children, the realization that someone can bite them in a dream or that there are insects in bed can cause nightmares and depressed mood.
Bedbugs in kindergarten are especially dangerous: here in the same infected room they can bite dozens of children, especially in winter, when it gets dark early and the extended-day group stays in the kindergarten until the evening.
Nightmare, on the second day we brought a small kindergarten from the whole bitten. And the teacher is still sarcastically said so, they say, none of the parents complains. I have already written an application to the SES, and until I receive a notice of processing from them, I will not take the child there anymore.
The bites of other types of bedbugs can be even more painful, but they are never numerous. Only kissing bugs living in tropical America attack several pieces and carry the causative agent of deadly Chagas disease. But in our country they are not found.
Treatment and treatment of bedbug bites: medicines and folk remedies
Knowing what to do if a bug has bitten, you can quickly relieve a strong itch from bites and ensure that the signs of the bites themselves disappear quickly enough. There are several main tips for handling bites:
- If there is no acute reaction to the bites, it is enough to wipe them with cold water and soap or alcohol. This will relieve itching and protect against infection of wounds.
- In case of severe pain and inflammation, an antihistamine should be given to the child. A universal remedy is Fenistil in drops - it can be given to children of all ages. Balsam Rescuer is also good. Children over two years old can be given a quarter tablet of Suprastin, Tavegil, or Diphenhydrate.
- When the temperature rises, the baby must be given antipyretic and made to drink plenty of fluids.
You can also use insect bites.
In any case, if the temperature after the bites of the bugs continues to rise or the child has edema, it should be shown to the doctor.
To folk remedies for bedbug bites include chamomile decoction and a solution of baking soda, which grease the bite sites themselves. Also known from Soviet times is a very popular star, which the Vietnamese continue to produce today.It should be remembered that folk remedies for bedbug bites are intended only for the external treatment of the skin, and with a severe fever or swelling will not help.
In the event that a predator bug or one of the water bug has bitten, a child may have a very extensive and painful bump that can be easily confused with a bee sting. For side effects, the same remedies should be used as for bedbug bites.
On a note
How to get rid from bedbug bites on the skinPerhaps no one will say: if the skin responded to the bites, then within a few days these points will be clearly visible on the body. The best way to prevent the emergence of new ones is to proceed as quickly as possible to the destruction of bedbugs, and if it happened during the journey, change the hotel.
Video: bed bugs drink blood
It is important to start applying all means as early as possible. If you wash the bites of bedbugs with cold water immediately after waking up, they most likely will not begin to swell. And the antihistamine taken in time will ensure the absence of edema and swollen lymph nodes in a child.
The photo below shows an example of a moderately severe allergic reaction in a child to bedbug bites:
How to determine that the child was bitten by bugs
Despite the fact that insect bites in children are treated as a whole equally, in cases with bedbug bites, you should always know for sure that they were the ones who bit. If you make a mistake and blame everything on mosquitoes, then in this way the child will be doomed to endure bites every night.
I never thought that these parasites could live in my apartment. When the child began to scratch, she sinned for everything: allergies, poor nutrition, kindergarten. Two dermatologists drove us to the offices, suspected chickenpox and rubella, but they did not say anything concrete. And the son literally could not sleep! But what will a one-year-old child say? I met some bugs a couple of times in the apartment, but I didn’t even suspect that it could be bedbugs. And only the doctor in the paid clinic said exactly that the child is bitten by insects. And when the husband at home turned the blanket over in the crib, I almost vomited. Then she almost poisoned herself while they were poisoned with dichlorvos. But now at least calm: this evil spirits are not at home, and the child is sleeping normally.
The main signs of bedbug bites are:
- clearly distinguishable chains of three to five bites each
- the appearance of bites at night or in the morning, almost always in a comfortable bed
- itch but not pain
- the location of the bites is mainly in those areas of the body that were not wearing clothes during sleep.
The photo clearly shows the paths of bites:
The bites of other bugs are less specific and are easier to confuse with the bites of wasps or spiders. However, the definition of what bit the bug of another species is not so critical: these insects bite rarely and in exceptional cases.
But bedbug bites are easier to prevent than to suffer with the treatment of them in a child. Therefore, finally - a few tips on how to calculate the presence of bugs in the room:
- bed bugs smell. In the room where they hide, you can catch the faint smell of soured raspberry or brandy.
- On a bed, a bedbug accidentally crushed at night leaves brown spots.
- Before sleeping in the room, check the underside of the mattresses on all beds. Usually, if there are bugs in the room, then on the mattresses you can find several insects.
If such a test does not reveal the presence of bedbugs, then the child can be left to spend the night here. In the worst case, the bites in the morning will be a bit.
How to choose the service for the destruction of bedbugs
A good example of how bedbugs bite