If a child has lice, it is necessary to fight parasites quickly and efficiently, not allowing insects time to multiply and cause serious skin lesions. However, as practice shows, not all parents know how to remove lice from a child. Often, such knowledge is limited to memories from his distant childhood, when lice mercilessly poisoned with kerosene and vinegar.
Next, we will look at how it is possible to remove lice from a child as efficiently and safely as possible for both himself and parents, eliminating the risk of contracting them during the procedure.
It is important to understand that lice are not a cold, they will not “pass” by themselves, they need to be purposefully fought with, and the sooner they start, the better. It is not necessary to condemn a child to ever-increasing suffering from the itch by his inaction, and others around him to the risk of becoming infected.
And besides the banal itch from lice bites, a child may develop an allergy with serious generalized symptoms, ulcerative lesions of the skin. In rare cases, lice can be the cause of infection with deadly diseases - relapsing and typhus.
The only thing that needs to be done before removing the head lice from the child is to make sure that it is the head lice. After all, itchy bites can leave other parasites, and a misdiagnosed diagnosis will only delay successful recovery.
Is it exactly lice?
Lice (scientifically pediculosis) is characterized by the following symptoms:
- Distinctly visible bites in the form of small dark pink swellings with a red dot in the middle. If they are not there, then, most likely, the cause of all the trouble is either a virus or a scabies mite.
- Itching, especially strong in places of bites. In the case of head lice - on the head.
- The presence of nits on the hair. Nits are lice eggs, small white dots at a distance of 1-2 cm from the surface of the skin, firmly attached each to its own hair.
- And, of course, the lice themselves that come across during combing, and just with a careful examination of the hair.
On a note
Louse reaches an average length of from 1 to 3 mm, usually has a white or grayish-yellow color. Everything types of lice (head, pubic and linen) are inactive. Unlike fleas, lice do not know how to jump, and unlike bedbugs, they live directly on a person. Bedbugs are most often hiding in furniture, in crevices behind baseboards and behind wallpaper.
Ways to remove lice in children
To remove lice and nits in a child, today it is advisable to use the popular and effective modern means - insecticidal shampoos, lotions and special combs allow you to reliably remove the lice from a child.
However, the most effective will be the combined method of combating parasites, in which:
- The head of the child is treated with a pediculicide. It can be a louse shampoo, lotion, cream or gel (it is less preferable to use folk remedies such as pore water and vinegar). The tool should be held on the head for the time specified by the instruction (usually not less than half an hour), then rinse the head thoroughly with running water.
- Still wet hair strand by strand is combed out with a special hard and thick comb against lice.In order to remove head lice from a child with long hair, it is necessary to tie all the hair into a tail on one side of the head, and, separating the small strands from the bundle, carefully comb them out. It is necessary to carry out a crest from the very roots - there most of all are lice and nits. In general, this measure is necessary, firstly, to remove insects killed during the previous procedure, and secondly, to get rid of some nits.
- A week after treatment, both operations must be repeated. For a week from the surviving nits, the larvae hatch, which are destroyed during repeated processing.
You can use these methods and separately - this is also often done. In this case, shampoos and other chemical agents in general are more effective combs. The latter require several days to thoroughly comb the hair and constant control of the head for a week or two after treatment. However, combs provide protection from the side effects of chemicals and skin irritation of the child, which may be especially important when it is prone to allergies.
It is impossible take out the nits a child without simultaneous destruction and adult lice. It is lice that bite, and their eggs are a consequence of the vital activity of parasites and a comfortable stay on the head.While at least one female is alive, nits will continue to appear in the hair and beyond.
In some cases, even before the use of all means, the child’s head can be shaved (if the parents and the child consider this to be acceptable from an aesthetic point of view). If removal of lice occurs in spring or summer, it will also help to quickly heal the bite wounds and dry the skin on the head.
After this procedure, it will be enough to wash your hair with shampoo once and forget about lice. Of course, to remove lice from a child with long hair, especially from a girl, in this way will be undesirable in most cases.
The advantage of lice shampoos is ease of use. They are applied to the head of the child as well as simple shampoos, foam well and have a pleasant smell. Practically all of them are made on the basis of Permethrin, an effective insecticide that is relatively harmless to humans (in the digestive tract, Permethrin is quickly broken down), but has a neuroparalytic effect on the insects themselves.
Among the lice shampoos are the following:
- NOC is one of the most famous.It is applied on the head for 30-40 minutes, it is easily washed off, but when it comes into contact with eyes it causes irritation. Do not use it for children under 2 years old and pregnant women.
- Veda and Veda-2, also quite strong means, having a composition similar to the NOK.
- Biosim - a tool for children and adolescents. 20 ml of shampoo, which is required to lather strongly, is applied on the head once.
More powerful shampoos like Nyx cannot be used for children.
Shampoos can be used regularly. pediculosis prevention. To do this, it is enough to wash the baby’s head every two weeks with the addition of small amounts of the product. With this approach, even single parasites that fall on the head, are destroyed, not having time to multiply. It is only important to monitor the reaction of the child’s skin to such procedures, and if signs of allergy appear, immediately cancel them.
Lice lotions and creams
These funds are used by analogy with shampoos. Apply them should be on the entire surface of the head, carefully rubbed into the base of the hair. Exposure time is usually at least 20 minutes, but, depending on the age of the child and the degree of infection, it can be up to 40 minutes.
The best known of these tools are:
- Medfox, considered today one of the most effective means of head lice.
“And we baited lice in both children (4 and 5 years old) with Medfox. We were warned that the drug is an adult and you need to be careful. But nothing seemed to happen. Once they smeared their heads, put on their kerchiefs, held them for about half an hour, then washed their heads for a long time - the product lasts a long time. However, not only did the lice disappear, just the children's hair became better, stronger, something ”
Sprays for kids
In terms of effectiveness, these funds are generally somewhat inferior to the previous groups due to the fact that in children with thick hair it is difficult to “get” the drug to the scalp itself, where the lice are the most. However, these tools are quite economical and when using a kerchief, a cap or a bag, they provide a completely reliable effect of toxic substances on parasites.
Of this group, Para-Plus, Lavinal and LiceGuard are the best known.
Folk remedies for head lice for children
But with folk remedies for lice when ridding children of parasites should be extremely careful. The same famous kerosene or vinegar can cause irritation and skin burns,and from traditional medicine preparations, safer ones should be preferred:
- hellebore water
- cranberry juice
- tincture of tansy or wormwood
- boric ointment.
These funds should be applied to the head on the same principle as lotions or shampoos. It is only important to understand that, on average, traditional recipes are less effective than modern insecticidal lice products. Accordingly, it is desirable to combine them with the use of ridges.
Lice combs are relatively new products that have gained popularity due to the possibility of avoiding the use of chemical methods to combat parasites.
Today there are several brands of such ridges:
- AntiV - perhaps the most advertised in Russia
- LiceGuard - analog AntiV
- RobiComb is an interesting development with the function of killing lice due to electrical discharges. This is not to say that this function greatly simplifies the task of getting rid of lice, but in general, like the comb, the RobiComb works in the same way as other ridges.
There are no principal differences between different ridges, and therefore the efficiency of all of them is approximately the same.
If you use the combs as the only means of fighting lice in a child,it is necessary for 4-5 days every day to carefully comb the strand by strand all the hair over the bath or white sheet, and the combed lice flush down the toilet.
“We bought such a comb to bring the lice to our daughter, but it turned out that she infected us too. So I had to ask her to brush us. Good thing, effective, but there is a lot of trouble with this comb. At least half an hour is needed to comb the head, the lice are raining, and the next day - the same. It feels like they are being born again. But after three days they are almost gone. ”
How to treat the effects of lice
In cases when lice infestation was too severe and the child began to have serious irritations, even to pustular eruptions, immediately after removing lice, it should be shown to the dermatologist. Usually, in these situations, antihistamines, wound healing preparations, balms of the “Asterisk” type are prescribed, sometimes irradiation of the head with ultraviolet light. It is important in such cases not to show initiative and to trust the doctor - self-treatment can aggravate the situation even more.
And of course, when getting rid of lice, you must remember about the safety of the rescuer.While the child is getting rid of lice, the parasites can easily get on the head of the mother or father and then safely multiply there. Therefore, the fight against head lice in children should be carried out in a headdress, and even better - with all family members at the same time.
Useful video: how to properly treat lice and what to do if a child has become infected with typhus